Key professional interests:
- Production of biobased biopolymers/biomolecules for novel materials applications (cell regeneration and bioinspired nanodevices)
- Functionalization of biopolymers for novel applications
- Use of renewable resources for microbial fermentation (high cell density/optimised volumetric productivity) for bioactives production
- High cell density fermentation with multiple microrganisms (bacteria/fungi/microalgae) with different fermentation design
- Holistic approach for the use of biobased products in cross-disciplinary applications
- Project management tailored formation and lab management
- Bioreactors control and design of experiments for optimised volumetric productivity of fed-batch and continuous fermentation
Submerged cultivation of fungal biomass for bioactives production
- 2011: PhD in Microbiology, University of Granada-Spain
- 2008: Specializing Master in Environmental Microbiology, University of Granada-Spain
- 2005: MSc in Marine Biology, Polytechnic University of Marche-Italy
Measures of esteem:
- 2019: Filed a patent application as a leading inventor for biosurfactants derived from biopolymers produced by bacteria.
- 2018: Acceptance of a leading position for mushroom cultivation for bioactives in submerged fermentation. 3rd year student project supervision for biopolymers production from renewable resources (Dairy industry)
- 2017: Establishment of an active interdisciplinary collaboration route (for novel materials for neural regeneration) with the Institute for Clinical Investigation in Erlangen, Germany (Neurophysiology and Cancer cell Research groups). Innovation Award by Advanced Material and Bioengineering Research/Centre for Research Adaptive Nanostructures and Nanodevices (AMBER-CRANN).
- 2016: Submission of a commercial grant application for biosurfactant scale-up as leading investigator. Invited talk at the International Symposium in Biopolymers (ISBP), in Madrid-Spain.
- 2015: Publication, as first author, about the use of mannitol-rich ensiled grass for biopolymer production.